The Pandemic has changed us in many ways…. home-life, church, shopping and the way we conduct business. We have been presented with unprecedented challenges that not even the most in-depth strategic plans could have accounted for. While clearly overwhelming, adjusting to our ever-changing environment can be made easier through an open mind and commitment to a few, simple initiatives.
Let’s take a look at a few ideas to keep your business moving along in a remote environment.
- Communication: It is essential to keep in contact with your team. Scheduling consistent, virtual group and one-on-one meetings is very important to track and maintain necessary dialog. Through staff engagement, you will be able to establish a support structure that increases the comfort level of employees and encourages open lines of communication.
- Clarity: Establish clear and concise guidelines for your work-from-home staff, including participation in virtual meetings. Working from home presents a new set of distractions and challenges; therefore, it is important to openly acknowledge the common struggles being experienced by your entire workforce, while providing suggestions on ways to cope and thrive.
- Consistency: Set consistent meeting times and stick to the schedule. Changing times or cancelling meetings sets a bad example and can elicit angst throughout your staff.
- Flexibility: Stay flexible. Issues arise throughout the day that need to be addressed. Encourage employees to feel comfortable in reaching out at any time and through whatever means of communication necessary.
- Listen: Solicit constant feedback from your team. No challenge is unique to an individual within your staff so encouraging employees to share their thoughts, opinions, ideas, struggles and suggestions helps to build a sense of togetherness and ownership, as well as establishing staff morale.
- Decompress: Require mental health time. Working from home can be stressful and lonely. Scheduling downtime or team events like virtual happy hours, lunches, etc., provides stress relief and allows for the establishment of the relationships and personal interactions the past year has greatly taken away from us.